General information on our Programs and Services

What kind of programs does the Scholarship Partners Canada unit of Universities Canada administer?

We administer scholarships and research fellowships geared to students interested in pursuing their postsecondary studies in Canada or abroad. Please note that our programs have some restrictions.

Who can apply for your scholarship programs?

To apply for a scholarship or internship for Canadian students, you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada

For an employer-sponsored programs, you or your parent must be employed with a company offering a scholarship through Universities Canada. If this is your case, send us an email at [email protected] requesting an application with the name of the company.

Other specific eligibility criteria will be listed in the program guidelines.

How do I apply for a scholarship?

It depends on the particular program as each has its own eligibility criteria. Please check out the scholarships listed on our website for more information. You can also apply online for some of our scholarships.

Sometimes, the eligibility requirements of your scholarships or other programs state that they are only tenable at a member institution of the association. Which Canadian postsecondary institutions are members of Universities Canada? Consult the current list of Universities Canada members

What is an Account Number?

The Account Number is obtained after applying for a scholarship. This ID is unique for each applicant to a scholarship program. It is used to verify the status of your application online and other information related to your scholarship.

Documentation required in a scholarship application

What do you mean by “official transcript”?

From Universities Canada’s standards, an official transcript means it has been sealed or stamped and signed by your school official. If you wish to keep your original transcript, you may send a photocopy which must bear an original seal or stamp and signature. The seal, the stamp, and the signature must be originals in order to be accepted.

Please note if you request an “official transcript” from your institution, it is possible they will not have the same standards as Universities Canada; therefore, you must request they add the school’s seal or stamp and sign the transcript.

My school or province will not issue my final transcript until the end of the semester and it will be too late to submit it for my scholarship application. What do I do?

As we do not require your final grades, you may request a transcript of your most current grades from your school. Please ensure this document gets sealed or stamped and is signed by your institution.

Do I need to print every page of my online application and send it to Universities Canada with my supporting documents?

No. As you will submit your application online and this information is stored in our system, you do not need to print your online application and send it to us.

If you wish to keep your online application for your own records, there is a document at the end of the online application that you will be able to print, which uses less paper than printing each page of the application.

Completing your application

I have submitted my application; does this mean my application is complete for the scholarship?

No. After submitting your online or paper application, you must also provide supporting documents. These documents generally include your official school transcript and may also include others such as reference letters and essays.

Please review the guidelines of your scholarship program to make sure you submit everything that is required to complete your application.

How do I submit my supporting documentation?

You may mail all supporting documentation to the following address:

ATTN: Higher Education Scholarships
Universities Canada
1710 - 350 Albert Street
Ottawa, ON K1R 1B1

Please note, if you prefer, you may send the following by fax (613-563-9745) or email ([email protected]) : application form, letters of reference, essays, and community service form.

Please note transcripts will not be accepted if they are sent by fax or email, as an official transcript is required. You must therefore mail your official transcript to Universities Canada.

Will I be able to change details on my scholarship application once I submit it online?

No. Once you submit your application, it is received in our system and cannot be modified. Please ensure you review your application before submitting it.

Scholarship decision process

Does Universities Canada decide which applicants receive a scholarship or research fellowship?

No. Universities Canada staff does not decide which candidates receive a scholarship or research grant or participate in an exchange program. The candidates’ applications are forwarded to independent selection committees made up of experts from the university and/or business and government communities. It is the members of program selection committees who select recipients of an award.

Is there an appeal process if I am not given an award?

No. There is no appeal process. The decision of the selection committee is final.

Can I accept a scholarship during the current year, but not use it until the following year? In other words, can I defer the scholarship to another year?

Generally, our awards and grants cannot be deferred to another year. Recipients must use the scholarship during the year it has been awarded.

Scholarship renewals and payments

How do I renew my scholarship?

Each spring, eligible scholarship recipients are notified by Universities Canada to renew their scholarship. This notification is received either by mail or email, depending on your program. For this reason, it is very important that you keep your contact information up to date.

Online renewal: You will be notified by email when it is time to renew, and will be directed to your online account. In your account, you will be required to confirm your contact information and program of study. Once this has been done, you are required to complete your renewal by sending any required supporting documentation (ie: official transcript). You can monitor the progress of your renewal in your online account.

Paper renewal: You will receive a letter in the mail when it is time to renew, and will be required to review and complete the renewal form, and to mail it and the required supporting documentation (ie: official transcript) to Universities Canada. You can monitor the progress of your renewal in your online account.

Financial assistance

Are there other sources where I can get more information on scholarships and financial aid that are available at postsecondary institutions?

Please contact the financial aid office of the institution where you wish to study for more information on student financial assistance they offer. You may also visit the following websites for more information:



I am an international student wishing to study in Canada and wishing to receive a scholarship. What can I do?

  • Contact the Ministry of Education in your home country for information on Canadian scholarships.
  • Visit the Study in Canada website developed by the government of Canada.
  • Visit the Study Canada website developed by The Canadian Education Centre Network.

Although Canadian universities do not typically award scholarships to foreign students, there are a growing number of institutions that offer entrance scholarships for international students. Information can be obtained through the financial aid office of the university that you wish to attend.

Additional services offered by Universities Canada

Where can I get information on specific study programs at Canadian universities?

You can visit www.universitystudy.ca to access our Directory of Canadian Universities searchable database of programs of study offered at Canadian universities.

Does Universities Canada administer any partnership programs or projects outside Canada?

Universities Canada manages programs and projects which involve partnerships throughout the world, as well as specific regions, particularly in developing countries. You may visit the International Programs and Project section of Universities Canada website for more information on these projects.

Universities Canada