Universities Canada is the voice of Canadian universities, at home and abroad. We are a membership organization providing university presidents with a unified voice for higher education, research and innovation. Universities Canada advances the mission of our member institutions to transform lives, strengthen communities and find solutions to the most pressing challenges facing our world.
We are currently recruiting a Senior Designer to be the design lead for University Affairs (UA) and Universities Canada. In this role you will be the guardian of the visual brand integrity for our websites, print magazine, e-newsletter and social media, and you will consult in that capacity with staff across the organization.
Education, experience and knowledge
- College or specialized diploma in graphic design or a related field
- Six years progressive experience including at least two years’ of experience working as a senior designer in print and digital magazine publishing, or in a comparable multi-platform publishing setting
- Advanced knowledge of both official languages. Must be able to carry out editorial text integration fluently in both French and English
- Advanced knowledge of professional publishing tools, such as InDesign
- Proficiency in Office 365 apps with the ability to create brand appropriate templates in PowerPoint and Word
- Advanced knowledge of copy-editing markings
- Well-versed in production, pre-press and printing best practices
- Experience with website and digital design
Skills & Abilities
- Creative, with excellent visual storytelling skills
- Strong graphic design skills, including typesetting, typography, composition, colour theory and information design
- Ability to think visually and conceptualize design solutions and imagery that will enhance and elevate editorial articles
- Ability to analyze client and end-user image requirements
- Proven aptitude for quick creative thinking with acute attention to detail under multiple, competing and tight deadlines
- Able to work independently, manage own time and take initiative
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate on complex projects and synthesize direction and critique from multiple clients
- Ability to solve problems associated with software, technology and workflow
The position is based in Ottawa, Ontario. Universities Canada has adopted a hybrid work model where employees are expected to work in the office a minimum of two (2) days a week.
The hiring salary range for this position is from $72 524 to $86,122 depending on experience. Candidates who do not meet all of the position requirements may be considered in an underfill capacity, in which case the candidate would be hired at a lower level than the position level.
Universities Canada is a National Capital Region Top Employer. We offer a comprehensive benefit package which includes four weeks of vacation, an attractive pension plan, group insurance, free gym membership and scholarships for children of our employees.
Interested candidates are asked to submit their curriculum vitae, a cover letter and samples of your work to the human resources service, Universities Canada, 1710-350 Albert Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1R 1B1 by October 1, 2023. Email address: [email protected].
To learn more about us, visit us at www.univcan.ca or find us on social media.
While all responses will be appreciated and handled in strictest confidence, only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
Universities Canada promotes the principles of diversity and inclusion and adheres to the tenets of the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. We encourage applications from women, Indigenous peoples and persons of all races, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities and expressions. Universities Canada provides accommodation during all parts of the hiring process, upon request, to applicants with disabilities. If contacted to proceed to the selection process, please advise us if you require any accommodation.
Universities Canada respectfully acknowledges that our offices are situated on the traditional lands of the Algonquin Anishinaabeg people.